Friday, February 12, 2010

Recycle mania!


A couple years ago, I went to Coney Island ( no, not in New York, but here in Cincinnati, Oh. It is the largest fresh water resirculating pool in the US) with my mother and grandmother, and saw this woman crocheting a bag, but I had no idea what type of yarn she was using. So being the kind of woman I am I asked. She said it was plarn, a plastic yarn. She said she had taken plastic bags, cut them, tied them and used them as her yarn.

I had forgotten about this for a while when I came across this wonderful site. Here is the link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/ this woman has some beautiful and unique patterns on her site. For all my green bunny friends out there, you all will love this.

So, I have been talking with my husband, and he had a brilliant idea! He mentioned diapers and plastic...then it clicked! Maybe I can use plastic grocery bags to make a waterproof layer, and flannel and minky fabric for the inside and outside layers that touch baby's skin. My husband is such a genius and we have an amazing stash of plastic bags downstairs. I am working on a new pair of wool soakers for Daniel since none of his others fit him anymore, so I will start working on this new project very soon and will keep you all in the loop as to how the pattern progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment